Getting the opportunity to visit Urbandale Middle School was a great learning experience. I really liked the collaboration activity that Lara had us do with the change in the master schedule and the preparation for building construction.
It really opened my eyes to the complexity of the issues and factors that arise when dealing with these two situations. I learned so much from the dialogue that occurred between my peers who all come from different circumstances and positions. The activity also emphasized the importance of a strong, collaborative team whose variety of experiences bring a certain expertise to the table that you can not do without.
The time spent with both associate principals was very beneficial for me as they provided practical information for us to take along with us to our first leadership position. It was good that the two leaders came with us from a public school and the other from a parochial background. This difference allowed a variety of questions to surface in discussion that would not have otherwise.
Having studied the blue print and being able to build a better foundation of understanding of the steps Iowa's Education path may be taking in the future, was very helpful in Jason's visit this time around. I felt more more confident and having the ability to ask him thought-provoking questions than the first visit he paid us in Supervision. I thought he did a fine job in answering the majority of our questions that satisfied our inquiry for the time being. I know that this is just the beginning but I feel lucky to have gotten the chance to have a dialogue conversation in sharing our celebrations and concerns with the future of Iowa's education.
The more we learn about the blue print the more questions we will generate. I would agree that it has been a privilege to have visited with Mr. Glass twice about his vision for the education in Iowa. Anyway the state decides to go with the blue print there will always be critics, but the good critics are the ones who come with an alternative solution to the problems we face.
ReplyDeleteThe experiences that Drake has given us to speak with administrators on so many aspects of the job has allowed us to see what it truly means. I am excited as we all become administrators or future ed. leaders, to see what we all can accomplish. The ideas we all share together are truly unique.
ReplyDeleteKristen,
ReplyDeleteI am also appreciative of all the speakers that have come to class to talk to us. It really helps put everything in a real world perspective. I think Lara really showed us how collaboration help solve large problems much faster and effectively. It will be nice knowing that as we venture out into our future administrative jobs that we have an already established network of administrators/teachers from our cohort.